Potato Recipes using Derrycamma Rapeseed Oil
Crispy Roast Potatoes
It is essential that the oil is very hot when the potatoes are added so that the outsides of the potatoes are seared on contact with the oil
- 3 tablespoons of Derrycamma Rapeseed Oil per pound of potatoes
Peel and cut the potatoes into even sizes, bring a pan of salted water to the boil, add the potatoes return to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes. Drain and put the lid back on the saucepan. Shake the saucepan vigorously to roughen the edges of the potatoes (this makes them floury and then gives them a crisper surface when roasted).
Pour a thin layer of Derrycamma Farm Rapeseed oil in the roasting tin and heat in the oven. Add the potatoes and stir around until the are coated in oil, return tray to the oven and roast the potatoes for about 45 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
Serve as soon as possible as roast potatoes don’t retain their crispiness well when kept warm.
More Roast Potatoes
• 24 small Potatoes unpeeled, well scrubbed*
• 20 fresh bay leaves (torn in half lengthways)
• 15g unsalted butter
• 3 tablespoons Derrycamma Rapeseed Oil
• 1-2 garlic cloves crushed
• Sea salt flakes & freshly ground pepper
Spear each potato with a skewer 5mm from the base and make crossways cuts in the potatoes 3mm apart, cutting down to the skewer, remove the skewer and continue until all the potatoes have been cut. Insert a couple of bayleaves in each one.
Heat the Derrycamma rapeseed oil and butter in a heavy roasting tin. Stir in the garlic. Add the pototoes in a single layer and move around to colour. Add seasoning.
Cook in a pre-heated oven 190 degrees C (375 degrees F) for 25-30 mins until golden brown and tender. The potatoes will open out like a fan as they cook
Perfect Healthy French Fries
• 450g Potatoes, cut into 1/2 cm strips and soaked in cold water and ice for 30 minutes.
• Remove the potato strips from the iced water and pat dry.
• Put potatoes and salt in a plastic bag or lidded box and add a little Derrycamma rapeseed oil. Shake, to coat the potatoes well with oil and salt.
• Lay the potatoes on a baking tray, ensuring they do not touch each other. Bake for about seven minutes, turn, bake for a further seven minutes and turn again and bake for another five minutes until golden and cooked.
• Serve immediately